Monday, September 19, 2016

Retrochallenge 2016/10 entry -- VCF-ELF!

I have had a soft spot in my head (or is that heart?) for the COSMAC ELF ever since I first learned of it years ago. The wire-wrapped construction, the front panel switches, the blinkenlights -- what's not to love? We won't even mention the..."unusual"...architecture of the CPU... :-)

COSMAC Proportions

Anyway...I managed to win a VCF-ELF kit in the auction at VCFMW 11, so now this seems like the perfect project for Retrochallenge 2016/10! I've done plenty of electronics projects in the past, including retro computer builds. But, I've never done any wire-wrapped builds until now. This should be fun...wish me luck!

Cool Runnings

In other news, I have taken-on the task of actually running the Retrochallenge 2016/10 event (and probably the future events as well). Don't worry, I won't declare myself the winner unless everyone else is just lame! Plus, Michael Mulhern from the Retro Computer Roundtable will be assisting in the judging duties -- I'm sure Michael will help to keep me honest... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment